Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Writing On the Wall

I came home from work last night to hear my daughter crying. Thinking that there is something treble wrong and that she got in trouble for something. I walked back to my bedroom and she is underneath her blanket hiding and sobbing. I asked her what was wrong and all she said was I'm sorry mommy, I was trying to write my letters. As I stand there wondering what she is talking about I notice blue marks on the wall. Not just a little bit but a lot, being that she is almost five she knows that she is to only use paper. I told her I was very mad at her and that it was time for her to go to bed. After about ten minutes I have calmed down enough to go to bed myself and talk to her about it. I tell her that I know she was practicing her letters but anytime that she feels the need to write on something there is lots of paper in the computer room and she can use as much as she wants. Then I ask if she is going to write on the wall any more and of course the answer is no. My daughter is a little of a drama queen and can over dramitize a lot of stuff, I have learned the best way do deal with me being mad is a mommy time out. I take myself out of the situation, leave the room, go outside and get some air. Then I come back and calmly discuss what she did wrong making sure she understands.

No comments: